One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A silver-coloured alloy of gold with nickel, platinum, or another metal.
- ‘The hilt was magnificent - silver and white gold interlocking like leafy vines around a steel base.’
- ‘Also included in the staggering price is a key to the box, designed by exclusive jewellers Graffs of London, made of white gold and covered in 126 diamonds, which can be worn as a pendant.’
- ‘Holding out her hand, Nadia showed her wedding ring - a simple piece in white gold - and her earrings and necklace, also of simple designs.’
- ‘Made of white gold and diamonds, the tiara is shaped like two bridges to fit across the bride's forehead.’
- ‘The rings will be offered in yellow or white gold, with an optional diamond or ruby.’
- ‘With the ever growing popularity of platinum rings, many couples are looking to shining silver and white gold as a cheaper substitute.’
- ‘Modern Indian women seem to be more fascinated by Platinum, white gold and silver than our grandmothers' passion for gold.’
- ‘Materials such as 18-carat white gold, rhodium (a platinum) and platinum plating feature in the collection.’
- ‘The necklace was made out of white gold and at the bottom hung a tear.’
- ‘A woman who wears mostly silver jewelry might prefer a platinum or white gold setting to coordinate with her existing accessories.’
- ‘Ninety percent of the store's offerings are gilded in 22 to 23 karats or 12-karat white gold, according to Carroll.’
- ‘But so great was the demand for ‘white metal’ jewellery that gold was mixed with other metals to make white gold.’
- ‘Your first decision will be the type of material you want for your bands, which may be yellow gold, white gold, platinum, titanium, or even as unusual sounding a material as tungsten.’
- ‘Wedding bands are traditionally made of gold, white gold or platinum.’
- ‘She wore no jewelry save the band of white gold on one of her fingers, a ring that once belonged to her mother.’
- ‘Our varieties of bands in platinum, white gold and yellow gold will be the perfect setting for your customized jewel.’
- ‘Her preferred metals are white gold, bronze and silver.’
- ‘The bottle is made of pure white gold, finest ruby crystal and finished with a diamond-encrusted wreath.’
- ‘Adding nickel or Palladium turns yellow gold to white gold.’
- ‘A brilliant cut diamond pendant, set in 18-carat white gold, is the elegant prize on offer for the best dressed woman on Thursday.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.