One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A silver-coloured alloy of gold with nickel, platinum, or another metal.
- ‘Modern Indian women seem to be more fascinated by Platinum, white gold and silver than our grandmothers' passion for gold.’
- ‘Her preferred metals are white gold, bronze and silver.’
- ‘She wore no jewelry save the band of white gold on one of her fingers, a ring that once belonged to her mother.’
- ‘Your first decision will be the type of material you want for your bands, which may be yellow gold, white gold, platinum, titanium, or even as unusual sounding a material as tungsten.’
- ‘The rings will be offered in yellow or white gold, with an optional diamond or ruby.’
- ‘Materials such as 18-carat white gold, rhodium (a platinum) and platinum plating feature in the collection.’
- ‘A woman who wears mostly silver jewelry might prefer a platinum or white gold setting to coordinate with her existing accessories.’
- ‘But so great was the demand for ‘white metal’ jewellery that gold was mixed with other metals to make white gold.’
- ‘Adding nickel or Palladium turns yellow gold to white gold.’
- ‘Our varieties of bands in platinum, white gold and yellow gold will be the perfect setting for your customized jewel.’
- ‘Holding out her hand, Nadia showed her wedding ring - a simple piece in white gold - and her earrings and necklace, also of simple designs.’
- ‘The hilt was magnificent - silver and white gold interlocking like leafy vines around a steel base.’
- ‘With the ever growing popularity of platinum rings, many couples are looking to shining silver and white gold as a cheaper substitute.’
- ‘Ninety percent of the store's offerings are gilded in 22 to 23 karats or 12-karat white gold, according to Carroll.’
- ‘Made of white gold and diamonds, the tiara is shaped like two bridges to fit across the bride's forehead.’
- ‘Wedding bands are traditionally made of gold, white gold or platinum.’
- ‘The bottle is made of pure white gold, finest ruby crystal and finished with a diamond-encrusted wreath.’
- ‘The necklace was made out of white gold and at the bottom hung a tear.’
- ‘A brilliant cut diamond pendant, set in 18-carat white gold, is the elegant prize on offer for the best dressed woman on Thursday.’
- ‘Also included in the staggering price is a key to the box, designed by exclusive jewellers Graffs of London, made of white gold and covered in 126 diamonds, which can be worn as a pendant.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.