Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] Fish with pale flesh, such as plaice, halibut, cod, and haddock.Compare with red fish
- ‘My huge bowl contained large, moist chunks of tangy smoked haddock and other white fish in a delicious creamy sauce.’
- ‘Hangana Seafood is a producer of fish products, mainly white fish.’
- ‘If grouper isn't available, trigger, snapper, cod - any firm white fish - will do.’
- ‘In the meantime, very gently cook a good quantity of white fish (I used haddock) in half a pint of milk with a bay leaf and a stock cube in it.’
- ‘The new report looks at the likely earnings and profits for vessels primarily fishing for white fish, such as cod and haddock, in the two areas.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.