One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A silver fir.
Genus Abies, family Pinaceae: several species, in particular Abies concolor
- ‘Over the hilly five acres grow native black oak, incense cedar, white fir and Coulter, knobcone, sugar and ponderosa pines.’
- ‘Randy and Jan and John Paul roar off in a borrowed ranger pickup parked under the big white fir by the hose rack.’
- ‘Like balsam fir, white fir is relatively difficult to establish in plantations, and growth after planting is often very irregular.’
- ‘After following the Truckee River out of Tahoe City, climb through white fir and Jeffrey pine to Paige Meadows, where summer promises a host of wildflowers.’
- ‘If you prefer a mandarin orange scent, go with a soft-needled white fir.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.