One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A silver fir.
Genus Abies, family Pinaceae: several species, in particular Abies concolor
- ‘After following the Truckee River out of Tahoe City, climb through white fir and Jeffrey pine to Paige Meadows, where summer promises a host of wildflowers.’
- ‘Over the hilly five acres grow native black oak, incense cedar, white fir and Coulter, knobcone, sugar and ponderosa pines.’
- ‘Randy and Jan and John Paul roar off in a borrowed ranger pickup parked under the big white fir by the hose rack.’
- ‘If you prefer a mandarin orange scent, go with a soft-needled white fir.’
- ‘Like balsam fir, white fir is relatively difficult to establish in plantations, and growth after planting is often very irregular.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.