One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A member of the Society of Missionaries of Africa, a Roman Catholic order founded in Algiers in 1868.
- ‘Were the White Fathers seen as an advance guard of French penetration into the Sahara?’
- ‘The cruelly-bound prisoners passed the home of the White Fathers on their way to execution.’
- ‘From their foundation, the White Fathers have been in Muslim areas since their Religious Society was founded in Algeria.’
- ‘It was further edited by a White Father missionary, Edouard Labreque, and finally published in Bemba as Ifikolwe Fyandi na Bantu Bandi (My Ancestors and My People).’
- ‘It was the White Fathers who permitted the first publications of dictionaries.’
- ‘It was agreed with the diocesan authorities that this should be the property of the White Fathers.’
- ‘The nine mission stations of the White Fathers accounted for the bulk of European residents in 1940.’
Translating French Père Blanc.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.