One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A white flag carrying a St George's cross with the Union Jack in the top corner next to the flagstaff, flown by the Royal and most Commonwealth navies and the Royal Yacht Squadron.‘take her to sea under the white ensign’
- ‘Team leader WO Richards said the visit was a good opportunity to show the white ensign in a city that doesn't get to see many ships sail by - apart from the annual Henley on Todd River regatta.’
- ‘The ashes of each were scattered to the wind under the fluttering white ensign they had served with pride.’
- ‘In part, as a consequence of Australia's involvement in the Vietnam War, the Government decided that the RAN should fly a uniquely Australian white ensign.’
- ‘He was hauling it down and hoisting the white ensign of the British Navy.’
- ‘At that time, the white ensign, like the others, was a plain flag with a St George's cross in the canton.’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.