One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A syndrome whereby a patient's feeling of anxiety in a medical environment results in an abnormally high reading when their blood pressure is measured.
- ‘Ambulatory blood pressure monitoring may be useful in documenting white coat hypertension and verifying hypotensive symptoms in patients receiving anti-hypertensive agents.’
- ‘Although ABPM is not applicable to all hypertensive patients, it is particularly useful in patients with borderline hypertension, white coat hypertension, suspected autonomic dysfunction, and episodic hypertension.’
- ‘They also counter so-called white coat hypertension, patient nervousness that skews blood pressure readings in the doctor's office.’
- ‘You may be suffering from "white coat hypertension."’
- ‘Resistant hypertension may be caused by "white coat hypertension," and therefore may be transient.’
- ‘Accumulating ABPM data suggest that patients with white coat hypertension who maintain low ambulatory blood pressures (less than 130 to 135 / 80 mm Hg) have a low cardiovascular risk status and no demonstrable end-organ damage.’
- ‘More patients in the home group were able to discontinue antihypertensive medication, presumably because patients with white coat hypertension were identified.’
- ‘That's why some people develop white coat hypertension—a brief rise in blood pressure when they visit the doctor's office or are in stressful situations.’
- ‘Excess catecholamine levels play a role in causing white coat hypertension and hypertension in pheochromocytoma, OSA, and other diseases discussed in this article.’
- ‘Hypertensive disease complicates nearly 10 percent of pregnancies in the United States, with white coat hypertension affecting an additional 30 percent of patients.’
- ‘In the medical world there is something we call 'white coat hypertension'.’
- ‘In addition, blood pressure measurement is only intermittent, and white coat hypertension might confound results.’
- ‘The authors suggest that blood pressure monitoring should include home measurement to identify patients who have white coat hypertension and those with masked hypertension.’
- ‘The monitor may help your doctor find out if you are a person who only has high blood pressure in the doctor's office (this is called "white coat hypertension").’
- ‘This clinical dilemma arises in true drug-resistant hypertension, cases of patient noncompliance, white coat hypertension, and cases of pseudohypertension.’
- ‘If your blood pressure is elevated only at your doctor's office, you might have white coat hypertension.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.