One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A North American tree of the cypress family.
- ‘Plants affected by deer overgrazing include trees, such as eastern hemlock and white cedar, and wildflowers, particularly trilliums, orchids, and lilies, reports Rooney.’
- ‘The view should be almost a monochrome of the dark greens of Atlantic white cedar and cypress.’
- ‘Mike Bryant, who manages the Alligator River and Pea Island wildlife refuges on the North Carolina coast, has a stack of tasks as tall as the white cedars he works in.’
- ‘Atlantic white cedars scattered amid the other vegetation remain stunted as long as the water is deep, growing no more than four feet tall.’
- ‘Northern white cedars, some more than a thousand years old, have been found on the Niagara Escarpment.’
2Australian The chinaberry.
- ‘A similar-sized alternative to consider is the white cedar, which is one of the few deciduous trees native to Australia.’
- ‘He said he has two ghost gums which are about 15 metres from his white cedar tree and hopes to eventually replace the cedar tree with them.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.