Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
- less technical term for leucocyte
- ‘The wound is then filled by a blood clot containing platelet aggregates, red blood cells, and white blood cells trapped in a fibrin meshwork.’
- ‘The infection causes the immune system to activate white blood cells and chemicals to fight the bacteria.’
- ‘The two major types of white blood cells are neutrophils and lymphocytes.’
- ‘For example, white blood cells in your urine usually mean that you have an infection.’
- ‘One type of blood cell is the white blood cell or WBC.’
- ‘It is also believed that exposure of the skin to heat stimulates the production of white blood cells and strengthens the immune system.’
- ‘The purified stem cells normally give rise to cells that mature into red blood cells and white blood cells.’
- ‘Chi Gong also promotes the phagocytosis of white blood cells and increases the lymphocyte transformation rate.’
- ‘Some patients may also have an increased number of white blood cells and platelets.’
- ‘It occurs when a child lacks lymphocytes, the specialized white blood cells that the body uses to fight infection.’
- ‘Eosinophils are white blood cells that participate in immunologic and allergic events.’
- ‘The white blood cells and platelets showed normal morphology and differential.’
- ‘Thus, the transfer of the infection from keratinocytes to white blood cells may provide a point of entry for HIV.’
- ‘Loss of blood results in an increase in red cell production, whereas infection leads to an increase in lymphocytes and other white blood cells.’
- ‘Stem cells are a type of blood cells which ultimately produces red blood cells, white blood cells and platelets.’
- ‘The animals also showed no significant decreases in white blood cells or platelets.’
- ‘Aggregate formation appears to play a role in the immune response by drawing white blood cells to the site of inflammation.’
- ‘Blood is made up of plasma, red blood cells, white blood cells and platelets.’
- ‘The bone marrow is responsible for formation of blood components such as the white blood cells and platelets.’
- ‘Myeloma is characterized by an abnormal number of white blood cells called plasma cells.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.