One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Providing or involving meticulous care, attention, or service.‘you went to the best restaurant in town where they gave you white-glove service’‘the sprawling resorts and white-glove hotels in and around San Juan’
careful, conscientious, diligent, ultra-careful, scrupulous, punctilious, painstaking, demanding, exacting, accurate, correctView synonyms
- ‘The gated neighborhood suited the family just fine, and the house itself toes the line of being white-glove pristine.’
- ‘Spa treatments and other impressive inclusions complete this white-glove winter getaway.’
- ‘"Horticulture" may bring to mind white-glove garden clubs and genteel lectures about growing better roses.’
- ‘He lobbied the diplomats during a formal, white-glove lunch featuring several courses and many more toasts.’
- ‘The relief commander conducts a white-glove inspection of the rifle.’
- ‘Only here do they keep up with the white-glove butler service.’
- ‘The problem is that such white-glove perfectionist treatment causes too many people to treat reviews as the last word on a show.’
- ‘There has never been a better opportunity to buy a trophy penthouse in a white-glove Park Avenue building.’
- ‘The Clean Streets Committee has dug in to bring its neighborhood up to Beacon Hill white-glove standards.’
- ‘With views of both the Rodney Bay and the open Atlantic, the white-glove dining restaurant serves my favourite king crab legs.’
1950s: probably with reference to the white gloves traditionally worn by butlers or other domestic servants.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.