One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A kettle fitted with a spout that whistles as steam is forced through it when the kettle is boiling.
- ‘The whistling kettle the only thing creating a sound in the still quietness of the emptiness that surrounded me.’
- ‘It is like a whistling kettle placed on a stove to boil.’
- ‘One put the grill on, one filled the whistling kettle, one rinsed the teapot in hot water, and one poured milk into a jug.’
- ‘We progress through days of calms, settling down into the sea's rhythm, ignoring the whistling kettle, the glow of the paraffin light in the saloon, or the biting cold.’
- ‘I ran down the stairs to refill my tea from the whistling kettle on the stove.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.