One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A kettle fitted with a spout that whistles as steam is forced through it when the kettle is boiling.
- ‘It is like a whistling kettle placed on a stove to boil.’
- ‘We progress through days of calms, settling down into the sea's rhythm, ignoring the whistling kettle, the glow of the paraffin light in the saloon, or the biting cold.’
- ‘One put the grill on, one filled the whistling kettle, one rinsed the teapot in hot water, and one poured milk into a jug.’
- ‘I ran down the stairs to refill my tea from the whistling kettle on the stove.’
- ‘The whistling kettle the only thing creating a sound in the still quietness of the emptiness that surrounded me.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.