One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- another term for grey jay
- ‘In camp, entertainment by chipmunks, red squirrels, whisky jacks, and snowshoe hares will keep you chuckling.’
- ‘Chimpanzees and whisky jacks share the habit of assembling jumbles of trash.’
- ‘There is a downy woodpecker on one of the birdfeeders and whisky jacks darting across the frosty boughs.’
- ‘Moose, elks, black bears, wolves, pumas, groundhogs, squirrels, beavers, whisky jacks, sandhill cranes, ravens and bald eagles are seen frequently.’
Late 18th century: alteration of whisky john, corruption of Cree wiskatjan, Montagnais wi:skača:n ‘blacksmith’, possibly with reference to the grey and black plumage.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.