One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- ‘Occasionally I would be rewarded with a wee, twitching, whiskered snout poking out of the little yellow house.’
- ‘The endearing Eastern Barred Bandicoot is a small animal characterised by a slender, elongated head tapering to a pink nose and well whiskered muzzle.’
- ‘Rivalling the film's spectacular scenery for radiant, wintry beauty, Nicole Kidman plays Ada, pitching up in the town of Cold Mountain with her preacher pappy - a white whiskered Donald Sutherland.’
- ‘For most of his career, the 69-year-old stage and TV actor has specialised in playing older character parts - more often than not the kind of fearsomely whiskered old coves who look like they'd be pretty handy with a blunderbuss.’
- ‘When a white van with two more whiskered men pulled up to the huddle, Sergeant Tommy Wright stepped out of his gold Ford Explorer.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.