One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(in horticulture) a simple graft in which both stock and scion are cut diagonally.
- ‘Fully grown trees may be topworked by crown or groove bark graft, or prune hard and whip graft sprouts later.’
- ‘If stock and scion are almost similar in size, the whip graft is especially useful.’
- ‘It may also be used for topworking trees that can't be easily grafted with cleft or whip grafts.’
- ‘If you want to try some whip grafts later then read up on JoeReal's superb propagation tutorials in the Citrus Growers’
- ‘I've tried bud grafts, whip grafts and cleft grafts, all with the same bad results.’
- ‘The simplest method to hold whip grafts together, and the best in my opinion, is masking tape.’
- ‘We are working on the whip graft and hope to have it posted it soon.’
- ‘At bottom left, asphalt grafting compound is applied to a completed whip graft to prevent wood tissues from drying out.’
- ‘While other types of grafts depend on the bark slipping well, the whip graft does not.’
- ‘The whip graft is fairly easy and heals rapidly.’
- ‘The joined area is not as long and as sturdy as your regular tongue and whip graft nor the cleft graft.’
- ‘Although whip grafts use more scion wood than budding does, they allow the grafted plant to develop more rapidly.’
- ‘Paul recommends whip grafts, noting there is no need to tar the grafts against desiccation.’
- ‘For a whip graft, use a cut identical to the one used on the rootstcok, and of identical length.’
- ‘I either used whip grafts or cleft grafts, with a couple bark and bud grafts thrown in.’
- ‘A whip graft consists of making a single angled cut through both the rootstock and the scionwood.’
- ‘Firm moist topsoil around the whip graft to prevent drying.’
- ‘Side-tongue grafts and whip grafts when well made and the union, including the entire scion, coated with paraffin, succeeded with little difficulty.’
- ‘The triangle, cleft and whip graft joints are less susceptible to blight, since their surfaces close rapidly, making a perfect weld between the scion and stock, also minimizing desiccation.’
- ‘While the whip graft is relatively simple in principle, it requires considerable skill in preparation in order to insure good cambium contact.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.