Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1In contrast or comparison with the fact that:‘you treat the matter lightly, whereas I myself was never more serious’
- ‘Someone in prison is still able to contribute something to society whereas someone executed cannot.’
- ‘It is possible for the non-bidding team to win the game if they reach the target whereas the bidders are still below it.’
- ‘The supernatant was kept in stock whereas the residue was sequentially extracted three times.’
- ‘To the north, the second lava unit is by far the thickest, whereas the older unit is only 2 m thick.’
- ‘Now that's brave, whereas sitting here with cancer, typing a magazine article, is not.’
- ‘This measure of right and left has not changed in hundreds of years, whereas specific policies have.’
- ‘He lived through his era, whereas so many of his friends died in racing accidents.’
- ‘We can make this in minutes; whereas previously it would take hours to make this part.’
- ‘The port was well fortified and defended, whereas the Vendéans had no siege train.’
- ‘At the beginning of this debate Stephen said that he thinks that he is a positivist, whereas I am a Platonist.’
- ‘Her car had been found on the Yorkshire moors, whereas she'd reappeared about fifty miles from there.’
- ‘Nanjing has also in the past been the capital of China, whereas now Beijing has that role.’
- ‘Cooking for me is like putting on a show - I like to improvise, whereas Nicky is much more precise.’
- ‘Berti wants as many of them as possible, whereas I deliberately minimised them.’
- ‘A nonalignable difference is that a bus has a schedule whereas a bicycle does not.’
- ‘We have natural light whereas working underground we had artificial light.’
- ‘She's the one who is moving on whereas her parents are stuck with the story, are stuck in the past.’
- ‘A dark room will trigger less light, whereas a bright room will drive more light output.’
- ‘It was based on polar coordinates whereas earlier instruments were based on cartesian coordinates.’
- ‘The Arctic is an ocean basin with peripheral continents, whereas the Antarctic is continental.’
- 1.1 (especially in legal preambles) taking into consideration the fact that.
- ‘The restoration procedure is discretionary, whereas the challenge to the forfeiture is not.’
- ‘Negligence depends on a breach of duty, whereas contributory negligence does not.’
- ‘The desks have damaged the walls, whereas a more appropriate choice could have prevented such damage.’
- ‘Thus Mr Smith is now the respondent to this appeal, whereas Mr Clark was the claimant below.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.