Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
After which:‘dinner was taken at a long wooden table, whereafter we sipped liqueurs in front of a roaring fire’
- ‘The head is then severed from the animal whereafter it is handed to the father of the owner.’
- ‘The games will take place over eight days, whereafter the athletes will travel to Cape Town to participate in cultural activities like choir festivals and costume parties.’
- ‘Gallagher Estate is to house the parliament for its first five years, whereafter it would be housed at an as-yet undecided venue in Gauteng.’
- ‘Back again at 11.30 am we were left waiting at the counter whilst a 20-minute search for the parcel resumed, whereafter we were informed by the supervisor that the parcel had definitely not arrived.’
- ‘An Indigo Marriage is a marriage between a person and a concept, whereafter the person attempts to assert the legal validity of the marriage onto users, thinkers, or employers of that concept.’
- ‘The games will take place over eight days, whereafter the athletes will move to Cape Town to participate in cultural activities like choir festivals and costume parties.’
- ‘He made sketches from initial X-rays sent from Hosking, whereafter a computer aided design package allowed Vicatos to ascertain the exact dimensions.’
- ‘All employees need to do, is to go to the Ministry of Labour or to the clerk of the court and report the case, whereafter the ministry will call in inspectors to investigate and call upon the employer.’
- ‘All samples were annealed by taking them live times through the transition by repeated heating and cooling between 0 and 37°C, whereafter they were stored at 4°C overnight.’
- ‘A second trial will be held on January 14 whereafter a training squad will be chosen to prepare for this prestigious event.’
- ‘The mixture is then removed from the fermentation drums whereafter it is placed in distilling kettles.’
- ‘At the end of each stage the South Africans will be taken to tents for a shower whereafter they will be taken to VIP areas to mingle with the riders.’
- ‘The river usually reaches its highest level during March whereafter it recedes until December the next year.’
- ‘A large group of National Front for the Liberation of Angola soldiers also fled this area during 1975 whereafter they joined the well known Buffalo Battalion close to Bagani.’
- ‘A court official said the respondents would have until July 2 to file opposing documents, whereafter the applicants would be given another week to reply.’
- ‘Unions held separate meetings on Sunday morning to consider the draft deal, whereafter they met in a joint caucus prior to the planned meeting.’
- ‘We intend to stage a reconstruction of the tragic demise of the liner in a large pond, possibly in Wales, whereafter it could become an ‘artificial reef’ and an item of interest to trainee divers.’’
- ‘He was arrested and released on bail, whereafter he quit music and fled to Paris with his girlfriend Pamela Jones to start a new life in obscurity.’
- ‘People who know that they will have a party can also use the bus to get to the party, whereafter they will be brought back home.’
- ‘Both parties signed an agreement to participate for a year whereafter it can be extended for another year.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.