Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
When someone feels inclined to do something.‘he can be quite candid when the spirit moves him’
- ‘Simpson can write like a dream when the spirit moves him.’
- ‘Now, when the spirit moves me to clean out drawers and closets, I'm on the search for things to replenish my regifting shelf.’
- ‘Men do spend a lot of time in there, when the spirit moves them (so to speak) but it is nothing when compared to how much time the woman spends there.’
- ‘The two nameless pieces of Duh are built out of guitars, samples, amplifier hums, drum machines, effects processors, and, when the spirit moves them, garbled screaming.’
- ‘We also have quite a few contributors who like to hang back and give us something only when the spirit moves them.’
- ‘The Rams can still move the ball in explosive fashion when the spirit moves them, but their weak defense and special teams and front-office paranoia are major detriments.’
- ‘But when the spirit moves you, you respond: A group of women suddenly sat down on the road in a line clear across the street and completely blocked all passage of cars.’
- ‘Kobe's preferred game plan is to disregard his teammates and shoot when the spirit moves him.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.