One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
When someone feels inclined to do something.‘he can be quite candid when the spirit moves him’
- ‘The two nameless pieces of Duh are built out of guitars, samples, amplifier hums, drum machines, effects processors, and, when the spirit moves them, garbled screaming.’
- ‘Now, when the spirit moves me to clean out drawers and closets, I'm on the search for things to replenish my regifting shelf.’
- ‘Men do spend a lot of time in there, when the spirit moves them (so to speak) but it is nothing when compared to how much time the woman spends there.’
- ‘Kobe's preferred game plan is to disregard his teammates and shoot when the spirit moves him.’
- ‘We also have quite a few contributors who like to hang back and give us something only when the spirit moves them.’
- ‘Simpson can write like a dream when the spirit moves him.’
- ‘The Rams can still move the ball in explosive fashion when the spirit moves them, but their weak defense and special teams and front-office paranoia are major detriments.’
- ‘But when the spirit moves you, you respond: A group of women suddenly sat down on the road in a line clear across the street and completely blocked all passage of cars.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.