Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
When everything is taken into account (used to indicate that one is making a generalized judgement).
fundamentally, primarily, principally, chiefly, essentially, elementally, firstly, predominantlyView synonyms
- ‘But when all is said and done, Moore is a millionaire, and the success of this movie will move him even further up the ladder.’
- ‘The punters understand that when all is said and done, it doesn't really matter who wins or loses.’
- ‘The death of someone at the age of 101 is, when all is said and done, hardly a tragedy, and hardly unexpected.’
- ‘Through her experiences, the main character realises that when all is said and done, she can only rely on herself.’
- ‘But when all is said and done, we have been blessed with one great big and beautiful country of which we can all be proud.’
- ‘Of course, there are lots of other minor arguments on the issue, but when all is said and done, it all comes back to the issue of progressive cultures vs. primitive cultures.’
- ‘It's at a point like this when the author poses himself the question: when all is said and done what good has come from this tragedy?’
- ‘It's kind of hard when you have to look and watch every dime that you make and difficult knowing that when all is said and done at the end of the day, you're just not going to have enough money.’
- ‘But, when all is said and done, if even a hint of doubt remains about your offering, your audience will go somewhere that eliminates that doubt.’
- ‘But when all is said and done, so long as the couple care for each other, and are committed to making their partnership work, then the question of whether to marry or not should be entirely up to them.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.