One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A driver, in particular the driver of a getaway vehicle.
- ‘Smithson is alleged to have hired them as his gunmen for payment of $5,000 each while Davidson, an associate of Smithson's, was the alleged wheelman.’
- ‘One loaded it into a dark-coloured car while the wheelman sat at the ready.’
- ‘In a July 29th, 1971 robbery of the Banker's Trust, the accused was to act as the wheelman.’
- ‘One of his accomplices is shot, his wheelman flees with the getaway car, and Charlie races deeper into the bank, trying to evade cops and security guards.’
2A cyclist.in names ‘the Narragansett Bay Wheelmen’
- ‘Those early wheelmen didn't have bicycle helmets, but they did wear close-fitting long-visored caps.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.