One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A chair fitted with wheels for use as a means of transport by a person who is unable to walk as a result of illness, injury, or disability.
- ‘Blocking my path was a young woman in a wheelchair being pushed by her mother.’
- ‘The amount by which Ryanair said it would raise its ticket prices if forced to provide wheelchairs for disabled passengers.’
- ‘Rather than being pushed around in her wheelchair, Amnah can join other children.’
- ‘We hardly get any young volunteers and now we're older we can't push the wheelchairs.’
- ‘They'd have to hire someone to sit me in a wheelchair and push me around all day.’
- ‘The police turned away some of the disabled people in wheelchairs who had also lined up to be arrested.’
- ‘Those in wheelchairs and the disabled were trapped in the surging crowd.’
- ‘The bus needs to be suitable for wheelchairs and disabled people.’
- ‘People in wheelchairs have difficulty being pushed round the clothes stores because the displays are so close together.’
- ‘So it is a fairly common injury that athletes who push wheelchairs often sustain, on a chronic basis.’
- ‘Previously, wheelchairs could simply be pushed across the wooden crossings.’
- ‘She says he then lectured them about disability and said the wheelchairs are for disabled people only.’
- ‘All floors are accessible by wheelchair and prams and wheelchairs are available on request’
- ‘There is an old lady being pushed in a wheelchair past our car along a bumpy dust-track.’
- ‘All the cash raised will go to Whizz Kidz, a charity that provides wheelchairs for disabled children.’
- ‘The buses have low floors and are able to easily carry pushchairs, wheelchairs and bikes.’
- ‘I wouldn't be able to do any of the lifting but pushing a wheelchair around wouldn't be too bad.’
- ‘When I saw her in my outpatient clinic she could hardly walk and was brought in a wheelchair.’
- ‘New trains have special areas for wheelchairs and disabled toilets.’
- ‘The charity provides general and sports wheelchairs for disabled children and young people.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.