One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A tool for screwing and unscrewing nuts on the wheel of a vehicle.
- ‘The brutal attack on four men visiting the town involved the use of an iron bar believed to be a wheel brace, hurleys and bottles and resulted in one man requiring facial reconstructive surgery.’
- ‘The jack handle and the wheel brace were not found in the dam.’
- ‘The Burnley bench had been told Lee Jones, 29, claimed the cabbie had assaulted him, setting about him with a wheel brace and then trying to run him over.’
- ‘Sourovtzeva took the men to her flat on Strand Road in Sandymount where they savagely beat Mr Bestea for four-and-a-half hours before one of them hit him on the back of the head with a wheel brace.’
- ‘Earlier in the pursuit, which began in Park Lane, Whitefield, the windscreen of the police van was smashed when one of the gang got out of the Escort and threw a wheel brace at it.’
- ‘One of the gang, Sagir Alam, immediately hit Miss Galloway with a heavy metal wheel brace, the force of the blow causing it to bend.’
- ‘On the same evening another car in the King Street car park was also broken into and the spare wheel, jack and wheel brace, and purse were taken.’
- ‘The victim, 17, was walking with a friend to a shop in Verdant Lane, Catford, when he was attacked by a gang of youths armed with the wood chopper and a wheel brace, the Old Bailey heard on March 16.’
- ‘Earlier that week, four masked robbers armed with an electronic stun gun, hammers and a wheel brace stole a substantial amount of cash from a security van parked in Bank Street outside the Abbey National bank.’
- ‘A MAN last night told how a gang of Asian men ambushed him in his car, robbed him and broke his arm after repeatedly hitting him with a wheel brace while shouting racist abuse.’
- ‘At approximately 8 pm on Wednesday last January 22, two raiders wielding a wheel brace and jemmy bar entered Tougher's on the Kilkenny road.’
- ‘Remember when car accessories meant a wheel brace and a decent tool kit - if you were lucky?’
- ‘‘Mr Smith and the complainant were sat in the rear of the vehicle and it was at this point that the defendant produced a wheel brace which he used to strike the complainant on the arm,’ said Mr Bridge.’
2A hand drill worked by turning a wheel.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.