One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An arch-shaped cavity in the body of a vehicle, which houses a wheel.
- ‘The lower part, comprised by the underbumper, wheel arches and rocker panel, is massive and robust, influenced by SUV design elements.’
- ‘The black paintwork of this car was in very good condition, the only marks being a small scuff on the rear bumper plus a slight dent on the off side rear wheel arch.’
- ‘The floor is flat, and there's little or no intrusion from rear light clusters or wheel arches.’
- ‘The exterior is also enhanced with deep side skirts, flared wheel arches and two-tone bumpers.’
- ‘The wheel arches are more pronounced as are the sills, sideskirts and air scoop, oh, and of course the headlights.’
- ‘The famous Walter de'Silva curved ‘Dynamic Line’, first seen on the Salsa concept, runs from front, over the wheel arch gradually descending to the rear pillar.’
- ‘We lost both bumpers, three wheel arches, a window and every single panel has suffered damaged.’
- ‘Prominent wheel arches and multiple headlights give it a distinct look with a touch of sporty elegance.’
- ‘It's amazing he got into the engine, I don't know how he managed it, he must have climbed up under the wheel arch, but he's always been a nosy cat.’
- ‘The superseded showroom model had neat, but rather anonymous, lines, whereas the new is much more with it, with large headlamp clusters and decidedly flared wheel arches front and rear.’
- ‘A slight S-curve flows through body sides punctuated by large, bluff wheel arches, and bed tie-downs are integrated into the upper pickup box surface just below the edge of the bed liner.’
- ‘The front nearside wheel arch was on fire and the bonnet ablaze.’
- ‘Other obvious design features are rearward-rising waistline, the prominent wheel arches containing big wheels and the tall, thin tail-lights.’
- ‘The lid curves down to meet the bumper that flows around the bold wheel arches and creates an aerodynamic spoiler.’
- ‘The load height is low, the tailgate window opens separately if you press an exterior switch, and the rear shock absorbers are tucked away to reduce the size of the wheel arches and maximise the load space.’
- ‘Nissan describe the Azeal as having an aggressive body design with wide wheel arches, short overhangs and a sharply sloped rear roofline with integrated active airfoil.’
- ‘The shell itself is a little disappointing in terms of build quality, with stickers misaligned, one wheel arch rubbing on a tyre etc.’
- ‘The damage is from the front wheel arch all along the car to the back wheel arch, nicely dented, scratched and gouged.’
- ‘You could put up a deckchair and sunbathe in the space between the top of the wheel and the wheel arch.’
- ‘It might seem like a bit of a laugh to jump in front of an engine, but it won't be when we are scraping them out from under a wheel arch.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.