Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1informal Used to refer to an item or items that are not identified but are felt to have something in common with items already named.‘little flashing digital displays, electric zooms and whatnots’‘pictures and books and manuscripts and whatnot’
- ‘Supersticious like i am sometimes and believe in faith and whatnots this is a bit spooky.’
- ‘He pushed debris and whatnot off of the couch, lay his jacket down, and then set the girl atop it.’
- ‘While Justine prepared herself for action, I sipped meditatively on a drink containing 17 different herbs and whatnots guaranteed to detoxify my system.’
- ‘When foreigners start to get really jittery about the war, they'll be trading in their euros, yen, rubles, and rupees and whatnots for solid, US dollars.’
- ‘And that could take awhile since I also have to buy furniture and whatnots and stuff.’
- ‘I also unplugged it before I left the house; save myself some electricity and whatnot.’
- ‘On the ticket wallets there were adverts for various, erm, things; shops and whatnot.’
- ‘Yes, I'd be somewhat shocked if my boyfriend told me he used the services of a prostitute to be tortured, nipple-clamped, weed on or whatnot.’
- ‘His name may sound snooty and whatnot, but this guy is one of the coolest guys you'll find in this school.’
- ‘She made it so it's easy for me to tweak, and I'm sure I'll be fooling around with the colors and whatnot before long.’
- ‘We yakked about the Church in NZ and the French blowing up Greenpeace ships in Auckland Harbor and whatnot.’
- ‘They can be found in reports, studies and other bureaucratic whatnots dating back decades that are gathering dust on City Hall shelves.’
- ‘But there's some typical things you might expect with runoff areas and whatnot.’
- ‘I lived a rather tumultuous life targeting for money power wealth authority status name fame and whatnot.’
- ‘They can keep the smarties and the M&M's and the pennies and whatnot.’
- ‘Ranji David is Appu, Rashmi Kothari and 13 others join in to make up a dramatic interplay of laughs and guffaws, back talks and whatnots.’
- ‘For one thing, there are a lot of games that are geared towards what we would call female interests, like building things and whatnot.’
- ‘In the country they dress it up with an anthropomorphic bedtime dolly, turning Cool Britannia into an Edwardian whatnot.’
- ‘Perhaps that was what jaunted my serenity askew after the meal had ended, people going off to do their own things and whatnot.’
- ‘I don't understand the comings and goings of people depending on circumstances or differences or whatnot.’
2A stand with shelves for small objects.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.