One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A chemical that can be added to a liquid to reduce its surface tension and make it more effective in spreading over and penetrating surfaces.
- ‘Aquatrols has improved on its wetting agent technology with the introduction of Dispatch, which is seven times faster than its existing Infiltrex product.’
- ‘But sometimes compost isn't enough, in which case artificial products such as wetting agents may have to be used to treat the area.’
- ‘This is the result of there being too little of a substance known as a surfactant, which acts as a kind of detergent or wetting agent to lower the surface tension of the fluid in the lungs.’
- ‘Most problems have to do with wetting agents in mixes.’
- ‘Even if you haven't, it's possible to supplement budget mixes with soil wetting agents and stir through a bit of pre-soaked peat if you've got it.’
- ‘These products vary, but may include a mild synthetic detergent or an oil mixed with a wetting agent (surfactant).’
- ‘Poloxamers have an extensive range of applications in the pharmaceutical industry such as emulsification, solubilization, dispersion and as thickening, coating and wetting agents.’
- ‘The line of forty products include soil surfactants, wetting agents, spray dye indicators, foliar nutrients biostimulants, spray adjuvants, and tank cleaners.’
- ‘Detergents are chemical compounds that contain wetting agents and emulsifiers.’
- ‘There are chemical wetting agents available to help in wallpaper removal.’
- ‘Can be used with fertilizers, insecticides, fungicides, algaecides, acids, wetting agents and disinfectants’
- ‘Manufacturers may add wetting agents and other substances (including acid) to their silicate products.’
- ‘The main focus of this study was to investigate the possible role of skin wetness and the wetting agent's constituents on parameters that affect skin breakdown.’
- ‘The label of a foliar-applied herbicide may recommend the use of a wetting agent or sticker-spreader.’
- ‘Premature babies develop breathing problems because their lungs do not make enough surfactant, a wetting agent, which creates the correct surface tension for the lungs to function.’
- ‘Many contain a wetting agent for uniform water distribution.’
- ‘The dishwashing liquid acts as a wetting agent and allows the water to soak into the soil.’
- ‘After dissection, anthers remained in the wetting agent for another hour.’
- ‘The wetting agent will improve the penetration of water so that it can reach deep down to the roots of the plants.’
- ‘Utilizing slow release organics products and plenty of iron and wetting agents are all standard operating procedures for Kevin and his crew.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.