One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A close-fitting rubber garment typically covering the entire body, worn for warmth in water sports or diving.
- ‘Katkandu motors through a gap in the barrier reef between South Water Caye and Carrie Bow Caye as we pull on shortie wetsuits, weight belts, tanks, fins.’
- ‘Luckily the men were wearing their buoyancy-compensating vests and wetsuits.’
- ‘My son is really into bodyboarding, although he's missing a leash and flippers, and doesn't own a wetsuit.’
- ‘A diving holiday more often than not means a tropical location with waters so warm you just need a light wetsuit or dive skin as thermal protection.’
- ‘Lil and Fester had decided to do a bit of snorkelling and had donned wetsuits for the adventure.’
- ‘Its skin was like spongy neoprene rubber, the stuff wetsuits are made from, and its eyes were just so peedie for such a big animal.’
- ‘From shell-encrusted jewellery and belts through sequinned flip-flops and swimsuits to wetsuits and boards, it's all here.’
- ‘Ricketts couldn't have looked more out of his depth had he taken to the field in flippers and a wetsuit.’
- ‘I had forgotten to bring my wetsuit, but fortunately was well-equipped in my thermal underpants and a lifejacket.’
- ‘Fabroc is currently being used for outdoor clothing of all types including underwater wetsuits for deep-sea use.’
- ‘Kitted out with helmets, wetsuits, buoyancy aids and paddles, our team piles into two inflatable rafts, drifting gently downriver.’
- ‘The sea here is as cold as Cornwall in winter and you have to wear a full wetsuit, boots, gloves and a hood to insulate you from the frigid waters and equally cold winds.’
- ‘What I do, when I get to the bottom and start working, is I take the hose and stuff it down the back of my wetsuit.’
- ‘Winter temperatures drop a little, but still make for comfortable diving in a wetsuit.’
- ‘The water at this time of year is cold and murky - we don wetsuits with hoods and booties - and there are long hours of detailed study work to complete.’
- ‘Fiji's waters are warm, although lightweight wetsuits or Lycra suits help protect against cuts and stings.’
- ‘There he sold his first wetsuits, a few vests he made from gluing together pieces of neoprene.’
- ‘At the end of the winter (late April) perhaps it had cooled a little, but a shortie wetsuit was only just adequate.’
- ‘The one-piece wetsuit he was wearing indicates that Mr Dineen had been diving.’
- ‘So whilst Tim was whisking around in tight circles in his own, go-faster-striped coracle, his pupils were still pulling on old jeans, swimming costumes or wetsuits.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.