One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A close-fitting rubber garment typically covering the entire body, worn for warmth in water sports or diving.
- ‘Fiji's waters are warm, although lightweight wetsuits or Lycra suits help protect against cuts and stings.’
- ‘So whilst Tim was whisking around in tight circles in his own, go-faster-striped coracle, his pupils were still pulling on old jeans, swimming costumes or wetsuits.’
- ‘The water at this time of year is cold and murky - we don wetsuits with hoods and booties - and there are long hours of detailed study work to complete.’
- ‘A diving holiday more often than not means a tropical location with waters so warm you just need a light wetsuit or dive skin as thermal protection.’
- ‘Its skin was like spongy neoprene rubber, the stuff wetsuits are made from, and its eyes were just so peedie for such a big animal.’
- ‘Katkandu motors through a gap in the barrier reef between South Water Caye and Carrie Bow Caye as we pull on shortie wetsuits, weight belts, tanks, fins.’
- ‘What I do, when I get to the bottom and start working, is I take the hose and stuff it down the back of my wetsuit.’
- ‘The one-piece wetsuit he was wearing indicates that Mr Dineen had been diving.’
- ‘Winter temperatures drop a little, but still make for comfortable diving in a wetsuit.’
- ‘Lil and Fester had decided to do a bit of snorkelling and had donned wetsuits for the adventure.’
- ‘I had forgotten to bring my wetsuit, but fortunately was well-equipped in my thermal underpants and a lifejacket.’
- ‘There he sold his first wetsuits, a few vests he made from gluing together pieces of neoprene.’
- ‘Ricketts couldn't have looked more out of his depth had he taken to the field in flippers and a wetsuit.’
- ‘The sea here is as cold as Cornwall in winter and you have to wear a full wetsuit, boots, gloves and a hood to insulate you from the frigid waters and equally cold winds.’
- ‘Fabroc is currently being used for outdoor clothing of all types including underwater wetsuits for deep-sea use.’
- ‘From shell-encrusted jewellery and belts through sequinned flip-flops and swimsuits to wetsuits and boards, it's all here.’
- ‘At the end of the winter (late April) perhaps it had cooled a little, but a shortie wetsuit was only just adequate.’
- ‘My son is really into bodyboarding, although he's missing a leash and flippers, and doesn't own a wetsuit.’
- ‘Luckily the men were wearing their buoyancy-compensating vests and wetsuits.’
- ‘Kitted out with helmets, wetsuits, buoyancy aids and paddles, our team piles into two inflatable rafts, drifting gently downriver.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.