One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Celebrate a baby's birth with a drink, typically an alcoholic one.
- ‘Perhaps, some time later (as they do in Champagne to bring good fortune) one may be used to wet the baby's head.’
- ‘No, not that, I did that with Muriel, John and Gus last night - you know, went for a drink to celebrate wetting the baby's head.’
- ‘It was a busy evening wetting the baby's head, which the father's head knew about the next morning, but he wishes to thank everyone for their kind words, and their help in welcoming the new arrival.’
- ‘Many of you may want to help her wet the baby's head at the plush casual eatery next to Bar 38, off Coney Street, which is opening this weekend.’
- ‘Your hospital bag is as much a tradition of the childbirth experience as is ‘wetting the baby's head’.’
- ‘At least I managed to wet the baby's head, even if it was with cola.’
- ‘As for whether I'll be having a traditional boy's night out to wet the baby's head well, I'm always having a boy's night out!’
- ‘We definitely wet the baby's head afterwards, then the team came back to our house.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.