Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
An artificial fishing fly designed to sink below the surface of the water.
- ‘The trout were taken to the dapped mayfly and to wet flies.’
- ‘Two wet fly competitions were fished out from Greenfields and the results speak for themselves. 72 anglers caught 6 trout for 8 lb over the two events, very poor fishing indeed because of the weather conditions.’
- ‘Tourmakeady Anglers held a wet fly competition on Sunday, the 8th of May for the ‘Deceased Members Cup’.’
- ‘A team of 2, 3 or 4 wet flies dragged through a wave on a cloudy day usually gets a response from the trout feeding near the surface.’
- ‘One of the best wet fly or nymph pattern I have used for the Arctic grayling is the Teal blue and silver, a well known sea trout fly, I cannot understand why this should be.’
- ‘I am using a size 10 Kamasan B175-a hook that gives a lovely profile for nymphs, wet flies and small lures.’
- ‘To be a successful all-round grayling angler you need a selection of dry flies, nymphs and wet flies.’
- ‘Nymph or wet fly fishing is more three-dimensional; dry fly is 2 - D.’
- ‘Most of the fish caught came to the dry mayfly patterns with little or no success to the wet fly.’
- ‘Over the week to May 12 th, 43 anglers fishing in the area between Greenfields and Cornamona landed 144 trout for 205 lb in 55 angling days, mostly all to wet fly and dapping.’
- ‘A German angler had 1 trout of 1.5lbs on wet fly also.’
- ‘Several wet fly competitions were held at the weekend, all giving very good results and providing some excellent fishing for the competitors who came from many parts of Ireland.’
- ‘Back on the banks of the Khuder I tied on any old wet fly - I hardly looked at it - and started casting.’
- ‘September is always a better month on the lough for both dapping and wet fly, so with a change in weather conditions anglers can expect much better fishing.’
- ‘Fishing a team of wet flies is a style of angling that has been practised on northern rivers for many years.’
- ‘For those who are boat fishing, a variety of tactics are successful from nymphs and wet flies on floaters to tube flies on fast sinkers, depending on the depth the fish are feeding.’
- ‘The five basic classifications of fly are given a chapter each: dry flies; nymphs and bugs; wet flies; streamers; and hairwings.’
- ‘A few years ago, I was fishing in a remote part of Maine, and after hours of unfruitful casting with a local streamer pattern, I tied on a wet fly popular in California.’
- ‘Boat anglers similar methods and also wet flies, wickhams, soldier palmer, silver invicta on floating/intermediate sinking lines, try orange, black, gold and silver lures.’
- ‘Traditional wet flies in sizes 12 and 14 are often all you need, though if you can get hold of Matt's specials, they could give you the edge.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.