One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(especially of the sun) nearing the west.‘the last rays of the westering sun’
- ‘Although routes made by westering European Americans made up only a tiny portion of all the trails across the West, they are the ones that define the West's historical outlines.’
- ‘Discovering and forging westering paths was increasingly portrayed as a heroic, transforming experience.’
- ‘The whole scene is so primeval that we would stand gaping all afternoon if the westering arc of the sun didn't jog us on our way.’
- ‘The westering sun speeds us home, but not before we spot Jain monks meditating in eternal silence on the heat-cracked, scrub-bearded red earth beyond the town.’
- ‘American ideas about the environment grew up in conjunction with the process of westering.’
Mid 17th century: from the literary verb wester, from west.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.