One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The direction or compass point midway between west and north-west.
- ‘The system was said to be moving west-north-west at seven miles per hour, with maximum sustained winds of 35 mph.’
- ‘He said the storm was moving towards west-north-west at 19 kilometres per hour with maximum sustained winds at 100 kilometres per hour.’
- ‘Positioned about 100 miles west-north-west off mainland Scotland, St Kilda is a group of seven islands, which are often inaccessible to divers due to unforgiving weather.’
- ‘Head south-east now along the summit ridge and drop down for a short distance in the same direction before turning west-north-west where the trail begins.’
- ‘John Brown reports that the fireball appeared about 120 km west-north-west from Amsterdam.’
- ‘By late afternoon, the National Hurricane Centre said the tropical depression had been estimated to be 175 miles west of St Lucia and was moving west-north-west.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.