One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Facing the west.‘a small west-facing patio area’
- ‘A west-facing bay window overlooking the front garden provides plenty of light.’
- ‘Frost damage can be a problem in exposed sites, so choose a south-facing or west-facing site against a warm wall to give protection.’
- ‘This may reflect the differences in soil moisture regimes between the east-facing and the west-facing plots.’
- ‘The west-facing side is most exposed to the battering winds that occasionally sweep across the fields with not much of a windbreak nearby.’
- ‘A reception room to the right has a west-facing bay window and an original fireplace with marble surround and tiled inset.’
- ‘The architect included a west-facing roof deck atop the bedroom wing for a prime view of Norway's famous late-night summer skies.’
- ‘It has a west-facing town garden at the back.’
- ‘The railed front garden is laid out with flowering plants and the west-facing back garden is mainly paved and provides parking.’
- ‘Grapes planted on a south- or west-facing slope pick up extra heat that helps sweeten fruit.’
- ‘A computer simulation of the building helped the architects understand how to protect the west-facing atrium from solar glare.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.