One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Used in forming a clause expressing that a specified person or thing prevented a particular outcome.‘were it not for the strikes, we would have seen much better results’‘I would have had fun on the vacation were it not for this’
- ‘The inclusion of picking locks could've been a great feature of the game, were it not for the fact that it becomes so incredibly easy that you can sleepwalk through every door and chest.’
- ‘We would not have made the progress we've made were it not for the support of the president.’
- ‘I don't know how this all would have turned out if it were not for the amazing support I received from the blogging community.’
- ‘If it were not for the fact that the cost per hour of being here is remarkably high, I would recommend that everyone work this way.’
- ‘Regardless of where she studies, it would be impossible were it not for financial aid.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.