One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Used in forming a clause expressing that a specified person or thing prevented a particular outcome.‘were it not for the strikes, we would have seen much better results’‘I would have had fun on the vacation were it not for this’
- ‘We would not have made the progress we've made were it not for the support of the president.’
- ‘If it were not for the fact that the cost per hour of being here is remarkably high, I would recommend that everyone work this way.’
- ‘The inclusion of picking locks could've been a great feature of the game, were it not for the fact that it becomes so incredibly easy that you can sleepwalk through every door and chest.’
- ‘Regardless of where she studies, it would be impossible were it not for financial aid.’
- ‘I don't know how this all would have turned out if it were not for the amazing support I received from the blogging community.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.