Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A toy house large enough for children to play in.
- ‘Members voted unanimously to take no further action over the Wendy house.’
- ‘St Mark's Anglican Church resembles a dainty Wendy house with gothic windows while Catholic St Patrick's transepts make it larger, more eager.’
- ‘They had little motorbikes and a Wendy house and a big tree to climb.’
- ‘The Wendy house could be sold already painted and made up, or it might be supplied in plain card so that people can turn it into whatever they want.’
- ‘The chicken house looks like a superior Wendy house.’
- ‘The leather Wendy house that Bill constructed at the bottom of the garden out of some scraps of hide from his workshop gets good use.’
- ‘At one end are two plastic Wendy houses for them to play in.’
- ‘Her 21st century Wendy house impressed manufacturers after she won a top prize in a national contest organised by the Trading Standards Institute to dream up safe playthings.’
- ‘A further charming addition to the garden is a Wendy house.’
- ‘The celebrity pair - who have a combined fortune estimated at over £50 million - also secured permission for a lavish brick Wendy house..’
- ‘A council spokesman said: ‘As the Wendy house borders a highway, the law states that planning permission is required.’’
- ‘We leave the Wendy house (carefully does it) and he takes me into the engine room of his empire by a back door.’
- ‘It will be a scale model of a Romany caravan about the size of a Wendy house for children to play in.’
- ‘Wai Hah, a pupil at St Georges RC High in Walkden, said: ‘I used to have a Wendy house which I played in with my two sisters.’’
Named after the house built around Wendy in J. M. Barrie's play Peter Pan.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.