Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Having dimensions that are in proportion and give a balanced, pleasing effect:‘the house has a spacious layout with well-proportioned rooms’
well proportioned, well formed, well shaped, attractive, clean-limbedView synonyms
- ‘Withdrawn from auction at the end of April, the property offers 362 square metres of bright, well-proportioned accommodation.’
- ‘Gimson used his study of traditional country furniture to produce functional, well-proportioned designs.’
- ‘At the end of the hallway the dining room is particularly well proportioned.’
- ‘On the left of the hallway is a well-proportioned lounge.’
- ‘A well-proportioned side plate of vegetables came with the main courses.’
- ‘High ceilings give a feeling of space in a well-proportioned house that has been decorated with a professional eye.’
- ‘Groomed, well-proportioned brows polish your look and can even create the illusion of a good night's sleep.’
- ‘He had a thin face, but it was well proportioned, with a thin nose and thin lips to match.’
- ‘The original timber flooring throughout the ground floor lends character to a well-proportioned city dwelling.’
- ‘It feels like a perfect market town, nestling around the well-proportioned cobbled quadrangle called Market Place.’
- ‘All of the bedrooms have built-in wardrobes and are well proportioned.’
- ‘The third bedroom is a well-proportioned double bedroom in the attic.’
- ‘The master suite, which overlooks the rear garden, is well proportioned.’
- ‘Throughout the new building, the galleries are handsome and well proportioned, with subtle, beautifully honed details and good lighting.’
- ‘This is a well-proportioned house which retains a number of period features.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.