One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An open space on the main deck of a ship, lying at a lower level between the forecastle and poop.
- ‘The Pearl Harbor has the same design as the Ashland, but has a shorter well deck and has much greater vehicle storage space.’
- ‘They were well into their cups every evening, and we could look down into the well deck where they all sat around in a circle, singing Neapolitan songs and becoming more and more boisterous.’
- ‘Some of them were in the forward well deck and that is where the device went.’
- ‘They ordered the Pueblo sailors to the well deck, where they were tied up, blindfolded, and told to keep quiet.’
- ‘He fell past the boats, and toward the aft well deck.’
- ‘Amphibious Assault Vehicles assigned to the 31st Marine Expeditionary Unit enter USS Fort McHenry's well deck.’
- ‘After they boarded, Blaine and Claire climbed onto the aft well deck and slept, their energy drained from the events of the last night.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.