One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An exclamation of incredulity, surprise, or vexation.‘‘Well, I do declare! It's Annabelle!’’
- ‘Why, Mister Zee, I do declare: that's two questions, you naughty, naughty - oh, enough with the Scarlett O'Hara-isms already.’
- ‘She gave me a funny look… I do declare, dear readers, that she thought it was me!’
- ‘Why Ms. Faun, I do declare that sounds like a half baked attempt at seducing me.’
- ‘Well, I do declare, that woman spoils you all rotten!’
- ‘Biche is more ‘me and my friends’ fluff, the everyday adventures of a British journalist in Paris written by - well, I declare - a British journalist in Paris.’
- ‘George, I do declare that you have started to blush!’
- ‘‘Well, I do declare, it's my job to see if any of these poor folks need any old thing,’ Brown said.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.