One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Organized effort to promote the basic physical and material well-being of people in need.
- ‘The Trust has taken up educational and socio-economic welfare work on a massive scale following widespread violence in the state last year.’
- ‘In the mid-1980s he did part-time child welfare work and health care research while studying for a Master's degree in Public Administration at Dalhousie University.’
- ‘The spokesman of the organisation said that welfare work would be done along with the people of other communities.’
- ‘The 2002 poppy appeal pulled in £22 million but the Legion spent £40 million on welfare work.’
- ‘It is about time that people recognised the value of voluntary welfare work, and the private-public partnerships that can make a real difference to alleviating poverty.’
- ‘In addition we carry out welfare work throughout the year.’
- ‘They had increased in numbers from about 120 at the beginning of the century to about 8000, the great majority in active orders engaged in educational and welfare work.’
- ‘She lived in England for 20 years, busying herself with welfare work, lecturing and broadcasting.’
- ‘She said: ‘People buying poppies is a way of remembering and of helping welfare work of the Royal British Legion.’’
- ‘‘I'm not saying that we were exploitative, but there was always the possibility that people weren't treated as well salary-wise, partly because they are being funded to do welfare work,’ he said.’
- ‘I will try and contribute my energies in whatever possible way to the ex-servicemen's cause and do some welfare work in villages around my farm.’
- ‘In the early decades of the last century a great deal of welfare work was dependent on volunteers.’
- ‘So it was a very interesting time, and I was right up to my neck in social welfare work.’
- ‘And because churches are substantially involved in welfare work, we'll be hearing some of their reflections and experiences.’
- ‘Life Aid could be forced to reduce the amount of welfare work it carries out, or even close its doors altogether.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.