One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Organized effort to promote the basic physical and material well-being of people in need.
- ‘She said: ‘People buying poppies is a way of remembering and of helping welfare work of the Royal British Legion.’’
- ‘I will try and contribute my energies in whatever possible way to the ex-servicemen's cause and do some welfare work in villages around my farm.’
- ‘‘I'm not saying that we were exploitative, but there was always the possibility that people weren't treated as well salary-wise, partly because they are being funded to do welfare work,’ he said.’
- ‘They had increased in numbers from about 120 at the beginning of the century to about 8000, the great majority in active orders engaged in educational and welfare work.’
- ‘In the early decades of the last century a great deal of welfare work was dependent on volunteers.’
- ‘Life Aid could be forced to reduce the amount of welfare work it carries out, or even close its doors altogether.’
- ‘The spokesman of the organisation said that welfare work would be done along with the people of other communities.’
- ‘She lived in England for 20 years, busying herself with welfare work, lecturing and broadcasting.’
- ‘In the mid-1980s he did part-time child welfare work and health care research while studying for a Master's degree in Public Administration at Dalhousie University.’
- ‘The 2002 poppy appeal pulled in £22 million but the Legion spent £40 million on welfare work.’
- ‘So it was a very interesting time, and I was right up to my neck in social welfare work.’
- ‘And because churches are substantially involved in welfare work, we'll be hearing some of their reflections and experiences.’
- ‘In addition we carry out welfare work throughout the year.’
- ‘The Trust has taken up educational and socio-economic welfare work on a massive scale following widespread violence in the state last year.’
- ‘It is about time that people recognised the value of voluntary welfare work, and the private-public partnerships that can make a real difference to alleviating poverty.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.