One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The sport or activity of lifting barbells or other heavy weights. There are two standard lifts in modern weightlifting: the single-movement lift from floor to extended position (the snatch), and the two-movement lift from floor to shoulder position, and from shoulders to extended position (the clean and jerk).
- ‘After returning from a summer vacation, I decided to take up weightlifting.’
- ‘Boxing and weightlifting also have multiple divisions by bodyweight.’
- ‘To build stamina and strength for the game, Greg took up boxing and weightlifting.’
- ‘The tournament is expected to be one of the most remarkable displays of athleticism that the sport of weightlifting has seen.’
- ‘History shows that track cycling probably has the worst record of any of our Olympic sports other than weightlifting.’
- ‘When it comes to weightlifting, deciding on the proper intensity to use is pretty straightforward.’
- ‘The burning desire I have for weightlifting has played a tremendous role in my life.’
- ‘And with other sports such as darts, bowls, table tennis, boccia and weightlifting, there was something to suit all tastes.’
- ‘Heavy weightlifting or similar activities that require straining are discouraged.’
- ‘Heavy weightlifting, bicycle riding and scuba diving should be discouraged.’
- ‘One of the first things you learn when you're new to weightlifting is how to order your muscle groups.’
- ‘I was given the position because I showed extensive knowledge of weightlifting and basic exercise.’
- ‘Already a keen table tennis player, he added weightlifting to his sports regime and has never looked back.’
- ‘Olympic weightlifting consists of two lifts: The snatch and the clean and jerk.’
- ‘It would be no exaggeration to say that, in the history of Bulgarian sport, weightlifting has been the country's strength.’
- ‘Try to do cardio workouts on separate days from your weightlifting or at least at different times of day.’
- ‘The 2000 Olympic Games was the first to allow women to compete in the sport of weightlifting.’
- ‘Today I enjoy weightlifting, Spinning class and running for an hour at a time.’
- ‘Sports like gymnastics, weightlifting and volleyball apply more stimulation for bone growth than running.’
- ‘When you think of burning calories, you probably don't think of weightlifting.’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.