One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A machine for weighing vehicles, set into the ground to be driven on to.
scale, scales, weighing machineView synonyms
- ‘Once inside the factory grounds, the lorries drive over a weighbridge where their gross weight is automatically measured.’
- ‘A railway station has been rebuilt near the town, featuring a goods yard, a weighbridge and a signal box.’
- ‘The driver of the skip wagon told police he had waited several minutes while another vehicle left the weighbridge.’
- ‘There will be roadblocks around the metropolitan areas and every suspicious-looking vehicle within a 20 kilometre of a weighbridge or vehicle-testing centre will be inspected.’
- ‘On the highways, Government will do well to come in and set up weighbridges to trap overloading truckers.’
- ‘The new law also applies to petrol pumps, alcohol dispensers, weighbridges, industrial scales, firewood and even rubbish dumped at the tip.’
- ‘The vehicles underwent a visual examination, and a mobile weighbridge and emissions unit were also used.’
- ‘The port has applied for a grant to provide a weighbridge at the port because of new fish-landing requirements.’
- ‘The divers involved claim that the fish weighed 32 kg, so big in fact that it had to be taken to a public weighbridge.’
- ‘When the lorry was taken to a weighbridge it was found to be overweight on the rear axle as well as for the gross load.’
- ‘All types of vehicles were said to be by-passing the weighbridges without even reporting, pretending to be empty.’
- ‘Sources at the town hall also confirmed the yardman, responsible for operating the weighbridge, was sacked after another disciplinary hearing.’
- ‘Alternatively you can bring your waste in loads and pay per weight by using the weighbridge.’
- ‘The introduction of weighbridges may have serious implications for fishermen around the coast.’
- ‘The weighbridge at the entrance to the dump had been affected by an electrical fault on Friday afternoon last week.’
- ‘The chairman said it was regrettable that two fishing vessels, loaded with mackerel, were unable to land their catches at the port recently because the weighbridge was not in operation.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.