One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A machine for weighing vehicles, set into the ground to be driven on to.
scale, scales, weighing machineView synonyms
- ‘The introduction of weighbridges may have serious implications for fishermen around the coast.’
- ‘On the highways, Government will do well to come in and set up weighbridges to trap overloading truckers.’
- ‘Alternatively you can bring your waste in loads and pay per weight by using the weighbridge.’
- ‘Sources at the town hall also confirmed the yardman, responsible for operating the weighbridge, was sacked after another disciplinary hearing.’
- ‘The weighbridge at the entrance to the dump had been affected by an electrical fault on Friday afternoon last week.’
- ‘All types of vehicles were said to be by-passing the weighbridges without even reporting, pretending to be empty.’
- ‘Once inside the factory grounds, the lorries drive over a weighbridge where their gross weight is automatically measured.’
- ‘When the lorry was taken to a weighbridge it was found to be overweight on the rear axle as well as for the gross load.’
- ‘The new law also applies to petrol pumps, alcohol dispensers, weighbridges, industrial scales, firewood and even rubbish dumped at the tip.’
- ‘The chairman said it was regrettable that two fishing vessels, loaded with mackerel, were unable to land their catches at the port recently because the weighbridge was not in operation.’
- ‘The vehicles underwent a visual examination, and a mobile weighbridge and emissions unit were also used.’
- ‘The divers involved claim that the fish weighed 32 kg, so big in fact that it had to be taken to a public weighbridge.’
- ‘There will be roadblocks around the metropolitan areas and every suspicious-looking vehicle within a 20 kilometre of a weighbridge or vehicle-testing centre will be inspected.’
- ‘The driver of the skip wagon told police he had waited several minutes while another vehicle left the weighbridge.’
- ‘A railway station has been rebuilt near the town, featuring a goods yard, a weighbridge and a signal box.’
- ‘The port has applied for a grant to provide a weighbridge at the port because of new fish-landing requirements.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.