Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
An Asian flowering shrub of the honeysuckle family, which has pink, red, or yellow flowers and is a popular ornamental.
- ‘She can produce as many variegated weigela as she wants without buying any more cuttings.’
- ‘Plants which will give year-round interest but don't require much work include berberis verruculosa, weigela, euonymus, hebe, kniphofia, and Arum italicum.’
- ‘After his tour he officially opened the glasshouses by unveiling a simple plaque and was then presented with a weigela shrub, part of a unique collection now housed in the gardens.’
- ‘Tall shrubs, including camellias, hydrangeas, and variegated weigela, were carefully positioned so they wouldn't completely block the windows.’
- ‘Good candidates are aucuba, barberry, forsythia, holly, honey-suckle, hydrangea, spirraea, weigela and even roses.’
Modern Latin, named after Christian E. Weigel (1748–1831), German physician.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.