One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A Eurasian willow with trailing branches and foliage reaching down to the ground, widely grown as an ornamental in waterside settings.
- ‘Sam glared fiercely up at the half-moon peeking through the branches of the weeping willow.’
- ‘I created another area of mystery by cutting an arch into the branches of a weeping willow.’
- ‘He quickly grabbed a weeping willow's branch hanging above his head and pulled him and Lenita out onto shore.’
- ‘Out of curiosity, he glanced back at his rear view mirror, and felt relieved to see nothing but the dusty little trail framed by weeping willows.’
- ‘Striking a nearby tree with his fist, Briar shook off the resulting pain and parted the branches of a weeping willow to enter the secluded clearing that was his haven.’
- ‘Cara was buried near a weeping willow with yellow flowers growing around her grave.’
- ‘On the other side of the stream, there was a stone bench sitting under an old weeping willow tree, whose branches came down to the ground, except in the front, facing the stream.’
- ‘We glide beneath arched stone-and-ironwork bridges, under the reaches of weeping willows, their branches bowed into the astonishingly clear water.’
- ‘Forests of oaks, pines and weeping willows are different from one another, but at least they are all forests.’
- ‘It was an oil landscape of a large mansion in the distance framed by oak trees and weeping willows.’
- ‘A large weeping willow was growing over the pound, so its branches just barely touched the water's surface.’
- ‘Mitch laid her down the ground under a weeping willow tree, and walked to the lake nearby then sat down and started to throw stones at it.’
- ‘There was a lake in the middle of the garden, with a weeping willow growing in the middle of it.’
- ‘It had a large garden, she noted absently, with weeping willows and cherry trees.’
- ‘Rare ferns, various flowering plants, sycamore trees, weeping willows, a variety of palms and California flora grace the manicured grounds, which makes for a most relaxing and picturesque atmosphere.’
- ‘Its tresses dancing in a gentle breeze, a weeping willow grew in the corner of the graveyard, next to a small stream that disappeared underground next to the willow.’
- ‘The branches of a weeping willow dipping into the stream.’
- ‘I looked around and saw that we were hidden by the long hanging branches of a weeping willow.’
- ‘He went off to sit under a large weeping willow on the grounds not far from the graves.’
- ‘I looked out and saw the last drops of sunlight filtering through the crisscrossed branches of the weeping willows.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.