Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A very divisive political issue, regarded as a basis for drawing voters away from an opposing party whose supporters have diverging opinions on it.
- ‘Wouldn't it be great if health care emerged as the ultimate wedge issue?’
- ‘Labor accuses the Government of using sexuality for political means and trying to create a wedge issue.’
- ‘He charges the president with seeking ‘a wedge issue to divide the American people.’’
- ‘They say the President is creating a wedge issue to divide the country.’
- ‘For me, it's becoming a wedge issue like abortion for some women.’
- ‘It's a wedge issue which no other party likes talking about.’
- ‘It's the president that sees immigration as a wedge issue.’
- ‘It's a wedge issue in the making and it's in our favor.’
- ‘This is an issue Democrats think will be a wedge issue with suburban working mothers.’
- ‘‘Early polls indicate that opposition to same-sex marriage could become a wedge issue,’ he said.’
- ‘He's decided to make this a political wedge issue, to placate the cultural conservatives in this country, in order to take away from his failed policies on jobs, health care and schools and his foreign policy.’
- ‘It became a very big wedge issue in this campaign.’
- ‘He said: ‘The President has allowed his political team to use this war as a political wedge issue to score political points and to divide this nation.’’
- ‘But radical feminists push their one-sided version of domestic violence because they know it is a potent wedge issue that exploits the psychological vulnerabilities of both women and men.’
- ‘In fact, I think that we are talking about a wedge issue that is insurmountable.’
- ‘Listen this is going to be a wedge issue for some years to come.’
- ‘Broaden this into the wider issue of privacy rights and you have an ideal wedge issue.’
- ‘And it became clear that some high-profile musicians were coached to spit out lines intended to make copyright maximization a wedge issue among artists.’
- ‘It amazes me that abortion is such a wedge issue.’
- ‘But I also believe that this is a wedge issue, that this is something that is often raised to try to divide people.’
- ‘Many in the progressive movement in the country believe that the president is using homosexuality as a wedge issue to divert attention from other more pressing issues in the country.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.