One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A celebratory meal eaten just after a wedding (at any time of day) by the couple and their guests.
- ‘Love and good wishes were in abundance, during the ceremony at the church, and during the wedding breakfast at Bidenscourt to which the whole village had been invited.’
- ‘This accounts for a large slice of the £2,701 spent on the reception and wedding breakfast and easily outstrips the £527 food bill for the occasion.’
- ‘The deal includes a civil ceremony, followed by a champagne reception and wedding breakfast, including house wine for up to 25 people and sparkling wine for the speeches.’
- ‘After the ceremony, the newlyweds and their guests will take the short walk through the woods to Smithills Coaching House and Restaurant to enjoy their wedding breakfast.’
- ‘Once upon a time, in the good old days, when everything was much simpler, the stipend for the priest cost more than the wedding breakfast.’
- ‘She still wants the frock and the wedding breakfast and the flowers and the champagne and all the trimmings.’
- ‘Eighty guests enjoyed a wedding breakfast in the ballroom and a further 130 attended the evening reception at the castle.’
- ‘On a related subject, why do they call the meal served at a wedding reception the wedding breakfast, when it's almost always served during the afternoon or evening?’
- ‘The movie begins with a grand wedding breakfast being given by Don Vito Corleone, the eponymous Godfather and underworld king-pin.’
- ‘After a few minutes we all headed inside the house for the wedding breakfast.’
- ‘Afterwards, a wedding breakfast of meats, salads and traditional trifle was served at the old schoolroom, where Charlotte used to teach.’
- ‘We were sober; those who had been at the wedding breakfast were plastered.’
- ‘The guests, a small cluster of family and friends, then assembled for a lavish wedding breakfast.’
- ‘After the ceremony, the party retired to Killashee House Hotel to enjoy a sumptuous wedding breakfast in a beautiful setting, where the evening took on quite a European air.’
- ‘Later, your musicians can serenade the guests at the beginning of the wedding breakfast.’
- ‘After the wedding breakfast, the couple will honeymoon at Birkhall, the Highland retreat which was the Queen Mother's favourite.’
- ‘The happy couple along with their families and friends retired to the Montague Hotel for their wedding breakfast.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.