One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A celebratory meal eaten just after a wedding (at any time of day) by the couple and their guests.
- ‘Once upon a time, in the good old days, when everything was much simpler, the stipend for the priest cost more than the wedding breakfast.’
- ‘After the wedding breakfast, the couple will honeymoon at Birkhall, the Highland retreat which was the Queen Mother's favourite.’
- ‘After the ceremony, the newlyweds and their guests will take the short walk through the woods to Smithills Coaching House and Restaurant to enjoy their wedding breakfast.’
- ‘Eighty guests enjoyed a wedding breakfast in the ballroom and a further 130 attended the evening reception at the castle.’
- ‘Love and good wishes were in abundance, during the ceremony at the church, and during the wedding breakfast at Bidenscourt to which the whole village had been invited.’
- ‘On a related subject, why do they call the meal served at a wedding reception the wedding breakfast, when it's almost always served during the afternoon or evening?’
- ‘Afterwards, a wedding breakfast of meats, salads and traditional trifle was served at the old schoolroom, where Charlotte used to teach.’
- ‘She still wants the frock and the wedding breakfast and the flowers and the champagne and all the trimmings.’
- ‘After the ceremony, the party retired to Killashee House Hotel to enjoy a sumptuous wedding breakfast in a beautiful setting, where the evening took on quite a European air.’
- ‘We were sober; those who had been at the wedding breakfast were plastered.’
- ‘The movie begins with a grand wedding breakfast being given by Don Vito Corleone, the eponymous Godfather and underworld king-pin.’
- ‘The deal includes a civil ceremony, followed by a champagne reception and wedding breakfast, including house wine for up to 25 people and sparkling wine for the speeches.’
- ‘This accounts for a large slice of the £2,701 spent on the reception and wedding breakfast and easily outstrips the £527 food bill for the occasion.’
- ‘The happy couple along with their families and friends retired to the Montague Hotel for their wedding breakfast.’
- ‘Later, your musicians can serenade the guests at the beginning of the wedding breakfast.’
- ‘The guests, a small cluster of family and friends, then assembled for a lavish wedding breakfast.’
- ‘After a few minutes we all headed inside the house for the wedding breakfast.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.