Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A large mottled grey seal with a small head, ranging farther south than any other seal and breeding on the fast ice of Antarctica.
- ‘So perhaps the sunbathing behavior of the Weddell seals is not simply a recreational activity but, rather, integral to the healing of their many wounds.’
- ‘Initial studies on the depth, foraging location, and diet of emperor penguins and Weddell seals suggested that there was a high potential for competition for prey resources.’
- ‘We land in the middle of Long Fjord and walk across the blue ice to a colony of grey slug-like Weddell seals sunbathing with their pups.’
- ‘Two groups of dives by Weddell seals covering equal distances but varying in swimming pattern and depth were compared.’
- ‘Therefore, it appears that emperor penguins and Weddell seals possess similar adaptations to exploit the underwater prey resources available to them within the Ross Sea.’
- ‘Pressure chamber tests on Weddell seals and northern elephant seals, and on the excised lungs of bottlenose dolphins show similar patterns of progressive collapse of the airways with exposure to increased pressure.’
- ‘She told me that only a second or two after they'd hauled me out a large Weddell seal had leaped up out of the same hole onto the sea ice, startling all the onlookers.’
- ‘By mounting video cameras on the heads of Weddell seals in Antarctic seas, scientists have gained much insight into the life of the seals.’
- ‘Undersea images recorded by Weddell seals in Antarctica showed that the seals have surprisingly individual foraging habits.’
- ‘In California she competes as a triathlete, but each year from September to December she trades in her running shoes, wetsuit, and bicycle for parka, insulated boots, and snowmobile to study Weddell seals in the Antarctic.’
- ‘Two Weddell seals lay on the beach and a leopard seal lurked just offshore.’
- ‘Hence the testes of Weddell seals, like those of other seals and cetaceans, are internalized, lying between the abdominal muscles and the thick insulating blubber layer.’
- ‘Researchers fear that if the berg stays put for any length of time, it could again lead to a dangerous build-up of sea ice, blocking access to the sea for the local Adélie penguins, skuas and Weddell seals.’
- ‘For emperor penguins and Weddell seals, satellite telemetry and population studies have provided data on seasonal patterns of habitat use that can be used to address this hypothesis.’
Early 20th century: named after James Weddell (see Weddell Sea).
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.