One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1An amount of disk storage space allowed on an Internet server.
- ‘The webspace lapsed and, for over a year, I've given it little or no thought.’
- ‘I've even got some webspace on the school server I'm not using these days, so I could host for a while.’
- ‘I'll get used to the process of course, and I'll make use of it to keep a better grip on the material, but I'm sure there will be times when I'll hanker after simpler times when I had more webspace than I could ever fill.’
- ‘I'm just an amateur snapper who happens to have bought some webspace.’
- ‘All universities give students webspace, so provided you can write HTML you can have a website, but most can't.’
- ‘Ironically, I'm moving to paid webspace very soon, but not soon enough.’
- ‘I am endeavouring to sort myself some proper webspace to make this easier to access and to enable readers to post comments.’
- ‘But due to nearly five years of accumulated words residing on this domain, I didn't have enough webspace available to host them.’
- ‘One way of producing detail-rich, high impact photographs while staying within reasonable bounds on download time and webspace usage is to go black and white.’
- ‘This file will not be available indefinitely - I am far too parsimonious with webspace for that.’
- ‘This is why it's best to use your own ISP's webspace if you can.’
- ‘I deleted all my old stuff from my ISP's webspace, checked I was under the 10-megabyte limit, and switched over to the new account.’
- ‘A few months ago, the FTP to this webspace stopped working, and try as I might I could not alter this.’
- ‘The UK's largest cable company - which has three million residential punters and more than a million broadband users - intends to offer free email, security and personal webspace as standard.’
- ‘For a monthly fee - £3.50, £6.40 or £10.70 - you get webspace and a powerful, elegant weblog building tool.’
- ‘As my current webspace is getting filled up with photos rather quickly this is worth investigating.’
- ‘I may try moving the whole blog over to the new webspace, but my Blogger-generated Archives are in such a state of disarray that I am worried I may lose quite a few of them if I make the move.’
- ‘Also, they still haven't activated my webspace.’
- ‘The software uploads your large files to your private webspace on the Personal FTP server, opens a new email, and places a download link onto the email, all in a few clicks.’
- ‘The company, which continues to investigate the problem, has confirmed that its subscribers also experienced difficulties accessing email and personal webspace for around four hours on Tuesday night.’
2The environment in which communication over computer networks occurs; cyberspace.
- ‘People may choose to wander around in webspace and leave a conversation at any time while others may choose to stay.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.