One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A tendency in a sailing ship to head into the wind if the tiller is released.‘the shape of this hull will generate substantial weather helm’
- ‘Sailboats are usually designed to have a slight amount of weather helm under normal conditions.’
- ‘The swing centerboard models built after 89 can reduce weather helm by pulling up the board a little.’
- ‘Remember, it is always desirable to have at least a little weather helm under all conditions.’
- ‘Other than developing considerable weather helm as she heels, she doesn't have any particularly disturbing characteristics under sail.’
- ‘This is a dinghy design, but the principles of balance and weather helm are just the same.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.