Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A tendency in a sailing ship to head into the wind if the tiller is released.‘the shape of this hull will generate substantial weather helm’
- ‘The swing centerboard models built after 89 can reduce weather helm by pulling up the board a little.’
- ‘Remember, it is always desirable to have at least a little weather helm under all conditions.’
- ‘Sailboats are usually designed to have a slight amount of weather helm under normal conditions.’
- ‘Other than developing considerable weather helm as she heels, she doesn't have any particularly disturbing characteristics under sail.’
- ‘This is a dinghy design, but the principles of balance and weather helm are just the same.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.