One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An act of urinating.
- ‘Suppose I was on a bus and desperately needed a wazz.’
- ‘Incidentally, human urine is a rich source of nitrogen, an essential nutrient for kick-starting compost, so feel free to have a wazz in the heap if your neighbours aren't looking.’
- ‘Fine if you're just nipping in for a wazz; but anyone who comes in, drops their trousers and sits on the bog will be plunged into darkness before they've finished.’
- ‘Faced with the same impossible task of reaching the Gents, they too followed their leader's example, headed for our corner and happily wazzed away.’
- ‘I feel that I should confess to wazzing in a coffee cup and throwing the contents out of the window.’
1980s: origin uncertain; perhaps an alteration of whizz.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.