One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The edge of a road.
- ‘The fine weather has been kind to the flowers and there are some fine blooms in gardens along the wayside already.’
- ‘They can pick way through the throngs of revellers by day to nab a bargain on one of the many stalls that line the streets, or sit by the wayside and have their fortune told.’
- ‘I'm ashamed of the state of the litter-strewn waysides and wonder what visitors to this country must think of us.’
- ‘A look at a mother in a sprawling Mumbai slum breastfeeding an infant while two more infants doze off awaiting their turn; kids running along the beach in gay abandon; a child in a deep sleep by the wayside on a torn blanket oblivious to the coins donated by generous passers-by... all make compelling viewing.’
- ‘National Park chiefs are becoming increasingly concerned over the growing number of metal boundary markers and village signs which are disappearing from waysides and village entrances.’
- ‘There are more bulldozers by the wayside than trees, rivers are replaced with billions of miles of ribbon like roads and trash is everywhere.’
fall by the wayside
Fail to persist in an endeavour or undertaking.‘many readers will fall by the wayside as the terminology becomes more complicated’
- ‘And educationally many, for whom extra assistance is a necessity not a luxury, will fall by the wayside.’
- ‘Quite simply, I've got so much going on in my life, so much to do in so little time, that many things - such as tidying - fall by the wayside, at work and at home.’
- ‘I have to wonder how many discoveries and ideas have fallen by the wayside for precisely this reason.’
- ‘It was a good idea, but it just fell by the wayside.’
- ‘And while subjects such as Latin and Greek are gradually falling by the wayside, new subjects have been introduced.’
- ‘I would be bitterly disappointed if the scheme fell by the wayside.’
- ‘New Year resolutions to be fitter and healthier often fall by the wayside before January even ends.’
- ‘What about those who fall by the economic wayside?’
- ‘As personal debt rises, other priorities fall by the wayside.’
- ‘Tradition also fell by the wayside when councillors nominated two members to serve as deputy mayor, causing a ballot.’
- ‘I've started a few little blogs here and there, just trying things out, but they have all fallen by the wayside, and I doubt I could even remember where they are!’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.