Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Methods and resources for achieving something.‘the company is seeking ways and means of safeguarding jobs’
- ‘But it should be recognised that there are ways and means of achieving these ends.’
- ‘In Scotland, a small country with a large number of resourceful writers, there have always been ways and means of getting noticed.’
- ‘There are ways and means to achieve this and over time I have become quite an expert!’
- ‘However, there are ways and means to beat the heat.’
- ‘There are of course ways and means to keep fuel costs down, most of which have been covered over and over before.’
- ‘I hope to explore ways and means of strengthening the economic, defence and cultural ties between our two countries.’
- ‘Here you will have an opportunity to discuss and suggest ways and means to avoid road accidents in Goa and other road-related problems.’
- ‘There may be various causes for back pain, but there are ways and means to deal with it to lead a pain-free life.’
- ‘And we had better begin to look at ways and means of reducing carbon emissions.’
- ‘There are other ways and means of dealing with issues like this.’
- ‘There are ways and means of achieving your goal, several of them legal.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.