One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Either of two South American palm trees from which wax is obtained.
an Andean palm with a stem coated in a mixture of resin and wax (Ceroxylon alpinum, family Palmae).
- ‘A similar wax is obtained from the trunk of Ceroxylon andicola, the wax palm of the Andes.’
- ‘Peasants fell the wax palms just to strip the highly prized young emerging fronds for sale to worshippers.’
- ‘But if we don't do something, the wax palm and the yellow-eared parrot will disappear from the planet.’
- ‘The wax palm is Colombia's national tree and itself a threatened species.’
- ‘The campaign to conserve Colombia's wax palms and the yellow-eared parrots, Ognorhynchus icterotis, that depend on them is working.’
- ‘The situation has put both the wax palm and yellow-eared parrots in peril.’
- ‘Yesterday a group of us went for a great hike through some stunning cloudforest at a nearby town called Cocora to see the 40m wax palms that are unique to this area.’
- ‘At this point you enter the cloud forest where the wax palms grow.’
- ‘The wax palms grow really tall and straight but are really skinny with no branches except at the very top.’
- ‘A stand of wax palms is seen near the border of a national park in the province of Huila in southern Colombia, in this May 6, 2004 file photo.’
- ‘And the wax palm forests play a vital ecological role in supporting a wide range of animals and plants, and in protecting fragile slopes and watersheds.’
- ‘This particular parrot appears to nest only in wax palms and eats the tree's thumb-sized fruit ‘as we would a coconut’ he said.’
- ‘Just days before Palm Sunday, the Catholic Church in western Colombia elected to support alternatives to cutting down wax palms for adorning traditional processions.’
- ‘The Cuban wax palm thrives in full sun locations in tropical settings, like southern Florida.’
- ‘Valle de Cocora, Colombia, hosts the world's largest remaining colony of wax palms on Earth.’
- ‘It is currently only thought to occur among the wax palms in the cloud forests of the Colombian Andes.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.