Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Either of two South American palm trees from which wax is obtained.→ carnauba
- ‘The situation has put both the wax palm and yellow-eared parrots in peril.’
- ‘The Cuban wax palm thrives in full sun locations in tropical settings, like southern Florida.’
- ‘Yesterday a group of us went for a great hike through some stunning cloudforest at a nearby town called Cocora to see the 40m wax palms that are unique to this area.’
- ‘A similar wax is obtained from the trunk of Ceroxylon andicola, the wax palm of the Andes.’
- ‘The campaign to conserve Colombia's wax palms and the yellow-eared parrots, Ognorhynchus icterotis, that depend on them is working.’
- ‘But if we don't do something, the wax palm and the yellow-eared parrot will disappear from the planet.’
- ‘At this point you enter the cloud forest where the wax palms grow.’
- ‘A stand of wax palms is seen near the border of a national park in the province of Huila in southern Colombia, in this May 6, 2004 file photo.’
- ‘And the wax palm forests play a vital ecological role in supporting a wide range of animals and plants, and in protecting fragile slopes and watersheds.’
- ‘Valle de Cocora, Colombia, hosts the world's largest remaining colony of wax palms on Earth.’
- ‘Just days before Palm Sunday, the Catholic Church in western Colombia elected to support alternatives to cutting down wax palms for adorning traditional processions.’
- ‘This particular parrot appears to nest only in wax palms and eats the tree's thumb-sized fruit ‘as we would a coconut’ he said.’
- ‘Peasants fell the wax palms just to strip the highly prized young emerging fronds for sale to worshippers.’
- ‘The wax palm is Colombia's national tree and itself a threatened species.’
- ‘It is currently only thought to occur among the wax palms in the cloud forests of the Colombian Andes.’
- ‘The wax palms grow really tall and straight but are really skinny with no branches except at the very top.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.