One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A brownish moth which lays its eggs in beehives. The caterpillars cover the combs with silken tunnels and feed on beeswax.
Genera Galleria and Achroea, family Pyralidae: several species, in particular G. mellonella
- ‘There aren't many beekeepers who use them now as they are of a double-walled construction that is time-consuming to use and encourages wax moths.’
- ‘During early research, they used cadavers of Galleria mellonella, or greater wax moth.’
- ‘In the greater wax moth, Galleria mellonella, distinctions between mates and predators are potentially difficult to make.’
- ‘For example, wax moths reduce their sexual displays of wing fanning in response to increased predation risk by bats.’
- ‘The young were hand-reared on a mixed diet of wax moth larvae; crickets; and a mixture of ground beef heart, wheat, curd, calcium, and vitamins.’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.