One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A taper or candle made from wax.
candle, spill, wick, night lightView synonyms
- ‘At 6.30 sharp, the excited chatter stops as the great man enters, with two wax lights being carried in front of him.’
- ‘Across the street the wax lights were lighted.’
- ‘On a table, in the centre of the chamber, stood a branched silver candlestick, throwing down the glow of half a dozen wax lights upon a paper apparently ready for the Lieutenant-Governor's signature.’
- ‘He ordered six pounds of candles and two pounds of wax lights on the account of a firm of chemists.’
- ‘It is suggested also, but as if by a dream within a dream, that there are two angels, bearing two candlesticks of gold filled with wax lights.’
- ‘There is a documented case of gentlemen being arrested for ‘use of wax lights and tapers’ in Durham Cathedral.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.