One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A taper or candle made from wax.
candle, spill, wick, night lightView synonyms
- ‘Across the street the wax lights were lighted.’
- ‘He ordered six pounds of candles and two pounds of wax lights on the account of a firm of chemists.’
- ‘On a table, in the centre of the chamber, stood a branched silver candlestick, throwing down the glow of half a dozen wax lights upon a paper apparently ready for the Lieutenant-Governor's signature.’
- ‘There is a documented case of gentlemen being arrested for ‘use of wax lights and tapers’ in Durham Cathedral.’
- ‘At 6.30 sharp, the excited chatter stops as the great man enters, with two wax lights being carried in front of him.’
- ‘It is suggested also, but as if by a dream within a dream, that there are two angels, bearing two candlesticks of gold filled with wax lights.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.